repurpose

Reclaimed

Present and Future

Time fades

Recollection

Repurposed

History

(Adelaide City secret discovery Compton St. Edited Gimp 2.8)

(Copied from the plaque  on the Building)

This small building was originally built as a house

By Edward Moore in 1871. A shopfront was added by the next owner,

baker Mathew Madge, in 1898-99.

Bert Edwards, one of Adelaide’s most colourful and notable citizens,

opened a tea room here in 1913.

It was immensely popular, particularly on Friday nights when the rear of the shop was used for the playing the then illegal game of two-up.

This entry was posted in Photography and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to repurpose

1. Jayde-Ashe says:

What an amazing building! I think it’s beautiful…thanks for sharing.

Thank you Jayde-Ashe its amazing what you see when you go for a walk in your own city. Lots of little treasures to find.
      Thanks for your kind comment

2. kiwiskan says:

Love that photo – and the words

3. kvennarad says:

Metropolitan saw works.
    What did YOU see?

M
    __________
    Marie Marshall
    author/poet/editor/recluse/molehill-mountaineer
    Scotland

4. Bee says:

Adelaide has a quiet unknown history about it. I love your posts. Adelaide girl at heart

5. theINFP says:

Fortuitous that the shop and its heritage has survived, I love the colours in the picture 🙂

I thinks its wonderful when we get a glimpse of history really makes you wonder what life was like back then
      thanks for your comment

6. Haha this is my favorite shop! I have bought so many dresses here she greets me like Royalty :/

Wow that is fantastic, I saw it when I went to the Central markets and I new I had to bring my camera back the very next day

7. Love this Mike! Cool shop 🙂

8. Ajaytao2010 says:

I Nominate you for a Wonderful Bouquet of Awards – 16 Nominations

Please Choose any 4 of the 16 awards
    please accept it and oblige

9. Pingback: A Wonderful bouquet of Awards – 16 Nominations | Ajaytao 2010

10. Classy compilation of photo and words.

11. BeluChi says:

Love it!! 🙂

12. Immensely attracting ! I want to shop there!

13. Pingback: Tribute to Ajaytao2010 | Michael Wilson